Monday, March 18, 2013

BREAKING: American metalcore is a genre now.

        At this point it's pretty much the elephant in the room that metalcore is practically a joke. The genre's long, tragic fall from grace, punctuated by a plethora of differentiations, egos, 'innovations' and hairspray, is finally catching the attention of noteworthy artists.
        And who better to shove in our dirty Yank faces that we're to blame for this bastardization of music than a pair of British bands. Yesterday, Architects drummer Dan Searle tweeted from South by South What? festival 'South By So What then....the strangest thing is happening - the people on stage are changing, but the songs aren't....'
         Searle was joined by Enter Shikari frontman Rou Reynolds' jab at horrific 'partycore' (I want to shower after writing that) act Attila.
     The only thing funnier than this conversation is exactly how spot on it is. Excessive breakdowns? Check. I'm not sure if 'frog impersonations' is a comment on the now-much used crabcore 'scuttle' pioneered by Attack Attack! or not.
     Naturally, this ignited a bit of a backlash from reddit. The equally shitty metalcore forum (which I'm banned from because I made fun of  Austin Carlile too much and prefer Converge to Memphis May Fire) actually had a bit of insight into how cookie-cutter the genre has become, but the infallible 'I don't curr I listen to wat I want yolo' argument nevertheless prevails.
     As far as I'm concerned, these fine chaps have it spot on. In fact, they've inspired me to write a metalcore 'field guide' for genre whores like myself. I'll be locking myself in seclusion for the next two years and weeding through as much Crown the Empire as  I can stomach, all for you guys.
     Stay tr00.

No comments:

Post a Comment