Sunday, October 20, 2013

Teethmarks - Let's get drunk and break shit

      One of the best things about studying in Canada is that I get exposed to a lot of bands that, due to monetary constraints, are only able to tour in the great white north. Now, obviously the opposite would be true if I lived in the States, but I'd be lying if I said my knowledge of Cannuck metal has swollen insanely since I moved to Montreal.
      And that's great, because there's a lot of amazing stuff to be found here - Hoopsnake from British Columbia, Dead Ranch from Manitoba, and Quebec's own breathtaking DSBM overlord Sombres Forêts. But last night I went to see a concert hosted by  Pelecanus, a DIY metal magazine from Montreal, and found myself confronted (in the purest sense of the word) by crossover band Teethmarks.


     The only moshpit of the show was during this band's set, and as their vocalist leapt from the stage to pace about furiously among the dirty bastards in the crowd, my roommate and I were totally transfixed. This is some of the filthiest, drunkest music you'll ever hear - a soundtrack to nights filled with bad ideas and booze. Comparisons to Cancer Bats (who hail from the same city as Teethmarks, Toronto) are inevitable for me, but there is a clear winner in this regard. 
     Something about that perfect mix of southern rock and thrash...
     If you need more proof, then for me, Teethmarks stole the show from the almighty Dopethrone. Now ain't that something.

No comments:

Post a Comment